Churches and palaces to visit in Sibenik
When you come in Sibenik prepare yourself for a walk through old town. There is interesting stuff to see there.
View of Sibenik from Barone fortress
Šibenik was first mentioned in 1066., so some of the attractions are almost millennium old. But most of them were built during the Venetian rule of Šibenik which began with the Venetian conquest of Šibenik in 1412.
and ended with the dissolution of the Venetian state in 1797.
What to visit in Šibenik old town
Here is a list of the most popular attractions in the old town:
St Francis Church and monastery
View of the Cathedral from fortress
old city streets
- Cathedral of St. James is probably the most important cultural structure in Šibenik.
It was placed on UNESCO protected heritage list in 2000.
It has become the main attraction of the old town since that time.
The cathedral had been built for more than 100 years due to lack of money and various warfare. The main architects were called Juraj Dalmatian and Nikola Florentine.
- St. Michael's Fortress is the second most popular attraction in the old town. You need to pay ticket for visiting it.
Single ticket is also valid for visiting Barone fortress.
- A walking trail is located all over seaside of the old town. It goes from harbor all the way to the Beach Banj.
- St.Francis Church and Monastery are located near main square called Poljana.
There is also a museum within the church where Šibenik Prayer
can be found. It is one of the first monuments of Croatian literature.
- Water supply system consisting of 4 wells was built is 15th century. The reason for its construction was the lack of water in Šibenik area.
The construction process was supervised by architect and builder Juraj Dalmatinac, who at that time, was also the chief architect of St. James's Cathedral.
The facility is located near the cathedral and can be freely sighted.
- There are dozens of churches, palaces, and small architectural details from the Renaissance and Baroque times.
The famous Pelegrini palace nowadays is a place of the famous restaurant in Sibenik.
Around a few hundred meters away from the cathedral there are the churches of the Holy Cross and St. Dominic.
The prince's palace, also located close to the cathedral, is converted into a city museum.
- Šibenik's library and theater are located on main square called "Poljana".
Restaurants and bars
You will probably want to take some break and have your favourite drink while in Šibenik. The bars are everywhere. Prices are reasonable for drinks.
Depending on your bar choice, you may pay 1-2 euro for coffee and 2-3 euro for beer. High-quality wines are more expensive.
Hoverer, if you want to take some food, be more deliberate when choosing a restaurant and food. Restaurants charge lots of money for
Mediterranean specialties such as ones containing olive oil.
How to get to the old town of Šibenik
It depends on the location of your accommodation. If you are just a few kilometers away from the city, then I recommend to go by foot or take a bike.
You can take a car, but you will pay 1-2 euro/hour for parking.
When you come to the old town, feel free to walk in any direction. Wherever you go, you will find something attractive. You will not get lost because the old city is not really big.